Passport services require appointments, which are available for U.S citizens Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. We are closed on the last Wednesday of every month and on American and Indian holidays.
Please arrive fifteen minutes before your appointment to clear security. Items which pose a security risk are not permitted inside the Consulate. Other items may be prohibited based on security staff discretion. Bluetooth must be disabled on all Bluetooth enabled devices. Photography is prohibited.
Online application tips:
- Complete the address fields completely.
- If completing an application without a social security number, you may enter all zeroes as a placeholder.
- Expedite fee: You do not need to select the "expedite fee" option; passports printed for citizens abroad are automatically expedited.
- Please fill out the emergency contact information even though it is not required to submit the application.
- Print the form, but please do not use two-sided printing.
- Unless renewing by mail, only sign the forms in the presence of a consular officer.
Please complete all forms before your appointment.
For more information on required documents and the application process, choose your service:
Complete fee information is available here. If applying in person, you may pay with cash dollars, cash rupees (at the current exchange rate), demand draft or a major U.S. credit card. Personal checks are not accepted.
Passport Processing Time
Except in emergencies, passports are printed in the United States and take approximately 7-10 days. Please consider this timeline when renewing or applying for a passport. You will receive an automated email when your passport is ready.
Passport delivery arrangements
U.S. Consulate General, Mumbai is pleased to provide courier delivery services for Consular Reports of Birth Abroad (CRBA) and U.S. passports. This service will allow for timely tracking and fast delivery of your documents. Please read the below instructions carefully.
- At the Consulate, you will be asked to purchase a courier envelope for INR 400 in the ACS waiting area. The fee may be paid by cash, card or demand draft in favor of “FedEx Express TSCS (India) Pvt. Ltd.” payable at Mumbai. Drafts can be drawn on any foreign bank operating in India or nationalized bank only. Along with your payment please submit a completed courier delivery form. You may provide your email id to FedEx to receive tracking updates via email.
- Once your CRBA or U.S. passport application is processed, the American Citizen Services Unit will return a sealed courier envelope containing your CRBA or U.S. passport to FedEx.
- When your CRBA or U.S. passport reaches FedEx, you will be able to check the status of delivery at http://www.fedex.com/in/ by using the Airway Bill number provided to you by the FedEx agent. Remember, Passport book/card/CRBA are sensitive documents. FedEx will hand over your new passport book/card ONLY on verifying the old canceled passport or any state issued government identification. For CRBA and citizenship documents, please be ready to provide parents ID’s to facilitate smooth delivery of your courier.
- If you opt to pick up your CRBA or passport in person, you may do so on Thursdays between 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. You do not need an appointment to pick up your CRBA or U.S. passport. Please check our holiday calendar.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are submitting your passport renewal application by mail and would like to have your new passport couriered to you, please submit a courier delivery form and an additional bank draft for INR 400 payable to “FedEx Express TSCS (India) Pvt. Ltd.” payable at Mumbai. Bank drafts for courier fees can be drawn on any foreign bank operating in India or nationalized bank only.