Adult Passport Renewals (over 16 years)
Adult passport holders may renew their 10-year U.S. passports in person or by mail. We reserve the right to request an interview with respect to any passport application.
To renew your passport by mail:
1. Complete and print the passport application online here.
Online application tips:
- Complete the address fields completely. If you are in India, your passport will not be sent back to the United States. When you drop off your application, you can designate if you wish to pick it up or have it sent to you by courier to an address in India.
- If completing an application without a social security number, you may enter all zeroes as a placeholder.
- Expedite fee: You do not need to select the "expedite fee" option; passports printed for citizens abroad are automatically expedited.
- Please fill out the emergency contact information even though it is not required to submit the application.
- Do not use two-sided printing
2. Submit all required documents with the printed application form:
- One(1) studio-quality color photographs taken within the last six months measuring 2" x 2" (5cm x 5cm) with a white background. No other photo format will be accepted. (Note: Passport photo services are not available at the consulate. Please bring passport photos as per specifications mentioned above to submit with your application.)
- The applicant's most recent U.S. passport. This passport will be cancelled and returned by mail along with the new passport. Valid visas in the old passport will not be cancelled.
- Properly completed and printed passport application form. The form must be signed and dated, and must include a valid telephone number (mobile or landline) and/or e-mail address.
- If the applicant's appearance has changed significantly since the old passport was issued, a clear photocopy of another current form of photo identification, such as a driver's license, PIO Card, etc.
- If the applicant's surname has changed due to marriage, please include an original marriage certificate.
- Fee payment: If applying by mail, please submit a demand draft in favor of "American Consulate General, Mumbai" drawn on a national bank. Personal checks are not accepted.
If applying by mail, please send (or deliver) all of the required documents to this address:
American Citizens Services Unit
C-49, G-Block, Bandra Kurla Complex
Bandra East, Mumbai 400051
Phone: (91) 22 2672-4000
Renewal-by-mail service is NOT available if you are:
- A minor (under 16 years old)
- Replacing a lost, stolen or mutilated passport
- Renewing a 5-year passport
- An applicant whose passport has been expired for more than five years.
These applicants must make an appointment to apply in person and bring all of the required documents listed above. Appointments are available for American citizens Monday through Friday from 9:00 am to 12:30 pm. We are closed on the last Wednesday of every month and on U.S. and Indian holidays.
Please arrive fifteen minutes before your appointment to clear security. Mobile phones, electronic devices other restricted items are not permitted inside the Consulate.
Complete fee information is available here. If applying in person, you may pay with cash dollars, cash rupees (at the current consular exchange rate), demand draft drawn on any foreign bank operating in India or nationalized bank only or a major U.S. credit card. Personal checks are not accepted.
Passport Processing Time
Except in emergencies, passports are printed in the United States and take approximately 7-10 days. Please consider this timeline when renewing or applying for passports. You will receive an automated email when your passport is ready.
Passport delivery arrangements
U.S. Consulate General, Mumbai is pleased to provide courier delivery services for Consular Reports of Birth Abroad (CRBA) and U.S. passports. This service will allow for timely tracking and fast delivery of your documents. Please read the below instructions carefully.
- At the Consulate, you will be asked to purchase a courier envelope for INR 400 in the ACS waiting area. The fee may be paid by cash, card or demand draft in favor of “FedEx Express TSCS (India) Pvt. Ltd.” payable at Mumbai. Drafts can be drawn on any foreign bank operating in India or nationalized bank only. Along with your payment please submit a completed courier delivery form. You may provide your email id to FedEx to receive tracking updates via email.
- Once your CRBA or U.S. passport application is processed, the American Citizen Services Unit will return a sealed courier envelope containing your CRBA or U.S. passport to FedEx.
- When your CRBA or U.S. passport reaches FedEx, you will be able to check the status of delivery at http://www.fedex.com/in/ by using the Airway Bill number provided to you by the FedEx agent. Remember, Passport book/card/CRBA are sensitive documents. FedEx will hand over your new passport book/card ONLY on verifying the old canceled passport or any state issued government identification. For CRBA and citizenship documents, please be ready to provide parents ID’s to facilitate smooth delivery of your courier.
- If you opt to pick up your CRBA or passport in person, you may do so on Thursdays between 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. You do not need an appointment to pick up your CRBA or U.S. passport. Please check our holiday calendar.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are submitting your passport renewal application by mail and would like to have your new passport couriered to you, please submit a courier delivery form and an additional bank draft for INR 400 payable to “FedEx Express TSCS (India) Pvt. Ltd.” payable at Mumbai. Bank drafts for courier fees can be drawn on any foreign bank operating in India or nationalized bank only.
General information about U.S. passports is available here.