Adult Passport Renewals (over 16 years)
Adult passport holders may renew their 10-year U.S. passports in person or by mail. We reserve the right to request an interview with respect to any passport application.
To renew your passport by mail:
1. Complete and print the passport application online here.
Online application tips:
- Complete the address fields completely. If you are in India, your passport will not be sent back to the United States. When you drop off your application, you can designate if you wish to pick it up or have it sent to you by courier to an address in India.
- If completing an application without a social security number, you may enter all zeroes as a placeholder.
- Expedite fee: You do not need to select the "expedite fee" option; passports printed for citizens abroad are automatically expedited.
- Please fill out the emergency contact information even though it is not required to submit the application.
- Do not use two-sided printing
2. Submit all required documents with the printed application form:
- One(1) studio-quality color photographs taken within the last six months measuring 2" x 2" (5cm x 5cm) with a white background. No other photo format will be accepted.
- The applicant's most recent U.S. passport. This passport will be cancelled and returned by mail along with the new passport. Valid visas in the old passport will not be cancelled.
- Properly completed and printed passport application form. The form must be signed and dated, and must include a valid telephone number (mobile or landline) and/or e-mail address.
- If the applicant's appearance has changed significantly since the old passport was issued, a clear photocopy of another current form of photo identification, such as a driver's license, PIO Card, etc.
- If the applicant's surname has changed due to marriage, please include an original marriage certificate.
- Fee payment: If applying by mail, please submit a demand draft in favor of "American Consulate General, Mumbai" drawn on a national bank. Personal checks are not accepted.
If applying by mail, please send (or deliver) all of the required documents to this address:
American Citizens Services Unit
C-49, G-Block, Bandra Kurla Complex
Bandra East, Mumbai 400051
Phone: (91) 22 2672-4000
Renewal-by-mail service is NOT available if you are:
- A minor (under 16 years old)
- Replacing a lost, stolen or mutilated passport
- Renewing a 5-year passport
- An applicant whose passport has been expired for more than five years.
These applicants must make an appointment to apply in person and bring all of the required documents listed above. Appointments are available for American citizens Monday through Friday from 9:00 am to 12:30 pm. We are closed on the last Wednesday of every month and on U.S. and Indian holidays.
Please arrive fifteen minutes before your appointment to clear security. Mobile phones, electronic devices other restricted items are not permitted inside the Consulate.
Complete fee information is available here. If applying in person, you may pay with cash dollars, cash rupees (at the current consular exchange rate), demand draft or a major U.S. credit card. Personal checks are not accepted.
Passport Processing Time
Except in emergencies, passports are printed in the United States and take approximately 7-10 days. Please consider this timeline when renewing or applying for passports. You will receive an automated email when your passport is ready.
Passport delivery arrangements
U.S. Consulate General, Mumbai is pleased to provide courier delivery services for Consular Reports of Birth Abroad (CRBA) and U.S. passports. This service will allow for timely tracking and fast delivery of your documents. Please carefully read the instructions below to arrive at your appointment prepared.
- At the Consulate, you will be asked to purchase a courier envelope in the lobby for INR 300. The fee may be paid by cash or demand draft in favor of "First Flight Couriers LTD." Drafts can be drawn on any nationalized or foreign bank operating in India. Drafts of co-operative banks are not accepted at this time. Along with your payment, you will also be asked to submit a completed courier slip (PDF 176KB).
- Once your CRBA or U.S. passport application is processed, the ACS Unit will return a sealed courier envelope containing your CRBA or U.S. passport to First Flight.
- When your CRBA or U.S. passport reaches First Flight Couriers, you will be able to check the status of delivery at http://www.firstflight.net/# . Simply enter the consignment number provided to you by the First Flight courier agent in our ACS lobby or you can also track your passport by entering your prior passport number in the Ref. No. column at the bottom of the webpage.
- You will receive a receipt from First Flight with the return of your CRBA or U.S. passport. If you opt to pick up your CRBA or passport in person, you may do so on Thursdays between 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. You do not need an appointment to pick up your CRBA or U.S. passport. Please check our holiday calendar.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are submitting your passport renewal application by mail and would like to have your new passport couriered to you, please submit a courier slip (PDF 176KB) and an additional bank draft for INR 300 payable to "First Flight Couriers LTD." Bank drafts for courier fees can be drawn on any nationalized or foreign bank operating in India. Drafts of co-operative banks are not accepted at this time.
General information about U.S. passports is available here.
All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format. To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader. You may download a free version by clicking the link above.