Preparing for the Interview
| Important Notice for all immigrant visa applicants
You Will Not Receive Your Passport
Your approved visa and passport will be delivered free of charge to one of the 33 pickup locations. But to receive this free service you must follow the steps below.
Steps to create profile and select your pick-up location
Step 1: Login to http://www.ustraveldocs.com/in/
You may also create your profile and select a pick up location by calling 91-120-4844644 or 91-40-4625-8222(From India); 1-703-520-2239(From the US) (8.00am to 8.00pm Monday through Friday and 9.00 am to 6.00 pm on Sunday).
If you do not follow these procedures, receipt of your passport could be delayed by weeks or months and you will likely be required to visit the Consulate in Mumbai to collect it.
All immigrant visa applicants must appear in person at the Consular Section for an interview. If you cannot make this appointment, or you know your documents will be incomplete, please notify the Immigrant Visa Unit immediately via email at email@example.com.
If you are applying for any immigrant visa categories, please follow the instructions below:
ALL applicants must create their profile by logging on http://www.ustraveldocs.com/in to arrange for the delivery of their passport and visa BEFORE the interview. Applicants are required to carry a print out of registration confirmation to present to the consulate.
- Please ensure that you have your medical report from our panel physicians before your interview. Visit http://mumbai.usconsulate.gov/medical_examination2.html for list of panel physicians. DO NOT BRING YOUR X-RAY ON THE DAY OF THE INTERVIEW. Only bring your medical report. Medical examinations are valid for three or six months from the date of your medical exam, and the validity of the visa will depend on the results of the examination.
- Police clearance certificate (PCC) must be issued by the regional passport office. (The validity of the PCC is one year from the date of issue. Please bring the new PCC if the one you have submitted has already expired.) Also note that if you have lived in any foreign country for more than a year after reaching the age of 16 years, you are also required to submit the PCC from that country. Applicants may also check the visa reciprocity table here.
- Information regarding immigrant visa fees and the current consular exchange rate is available on our website at http://mumbai.usconsulate.gov/ivfees.html.
- Please carry all the originals plus photocopies of all your civil documents. (Birth certificate, Marriage certificate, Divorce documents, Adoption documents). All documents not in English must be accompanied by certified English translations.
- Please bring the federal income tax returns for the most recent year from the petitioner and from the joint sponsor if sponsor does not meet the poverty guidelines. Click here to see the poverty guidelines.
- Please bring the proof of your relationship with the petitioner.
Failure to read and properly follow all instructions provided may result in unavoidable delays in concluding your visa application at the Consulate.
For Immigrant Visa appointment packet, please click here.
Our call centers are open 8.00 am to 8.00 pm Monday through Friday and 9.00 am to 6.00 pm on Sunday. From within India, please dial 91-120-4844644 or 91-40-4625-8222. From the United States, please call 1-703-520-2239.