Death of a U.S. Citizen
If a U.S. citizen passes away in India, the American Citizens Services Unit can assist with the information regarding the disposition of remains and personal effects.
The 24-hour phone number for the Consulate is 22-2672-4000. If you are calling from the United States, first dial 011-91-22-.
Consular Report of Death Abroad
Even if no assistance is needed, the death of a U.S. citizen, in India whether a resident or a tourist, should be reported to the Consulate so that a “Consular Report of Death of an American Citizen Abroad” can be issued. This document is necessary to settle legal and estate matters in the United States. More Information
The Consular Report of Death Abroad will be issued when the following documents are provided:
- Original death certificate from local authorities.
- Doctor's report with cause of death listed.
- Original passport of the deceased. Please be aware that a consular officer is required to cancel the deceased's passport before the Consular Report of Death Abroad can be released.
Disposition of Remains
- The Consulate can communicate with the next of kin and communicate their wishes about the disposition of remains to the local authorities.
- Indian regulations require that a deceased person must be cremated, buried, or embalmed within 72 hours of death. Embalmed remains can be held in cold storage until instructions are received from the next of kin about disposition of the remains.
- The Consulate will assist in arranging documentation for remains to be shipped to the U.S., and will assist with preparations according to the direction of the legal Next of Kin. All costs are the responsibility of the next of kin.
- Please bear in mind that mortuary and embalming services are limited in India, and not always up to U.S. standards. The U.S. government does not provide funding to help with shipping remains or other costs associated with funeral arrangements.
For a detailed report on the costs and logistics of transporting remains to the U.S. or arranging burial or cremation services in India, please read the report (pdf 216KB) or click here for list of undertakers.
Please do not hesitate to contact the Consulate with questions. If you are unsure which Embassy or Consulate to contact, check this list of consular districts and contact information.